Last month I decided to do a little bit of de-lurking, and as part of that I also ran a little contest alongside it. I asked those readers to give me their favourite quote—be it their own or one they’ve heard.
The de-lurking was a great success. Only 12 comments, but I was after quality not quantity, and as a result found out about a few people who read the site that I didn’t know existed prior to the post. Thanks to everybody who took part, I’ll definitely be doing this again next year!
Anyway to the competition. Of the nine quotes submitted, I picked the following five finalists:
- “Fuck it, dude. Let’s go bowling” (Kate Bowlin)
- “Anybody can be good in the country. There are no temptations there” (Andrew Rickmann)
- “A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men” (David Hamilton)
- “Life is not a rehearsal—this is it!” (Ian G)
- “If you’ve never seen an elephant ski, you’ve never been on acid” (Krystyn)
Just for fun, I thought I would pick the winner in the proper manner, and so all five finalists quotes were written onto Post-it Notes, screwed up, and then placed into a hat (you can see the photos here. I then picked the winner. So without much further ado, drum-roll please… The winning quote is:
A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.
Congratulations to David Hamilton (who is a fellow web-developer I met at @media last year). You should have received your £20 iTunes voucher in your e-mail inbox today. I would love to hear what you decided to buy with it, although if it includes anything by Lady Sovereign, I reserve the right to demand my money back!